Sunday 13 March 2011

How Ya Goin'

G’Day Mate. This is the greeting that is most commonly used here in Australia. In fact, there are many different ways to say many different things here. I was so surprised by many of them that I think I will share a few of them with you.

1. Doona: blanket
2. Capiscum: bell pepper
3. Trolley: shopping cart
4. Pram: stroller
5. How you goin’: how are you doing?
6. Mate: friend
7. Chewy: gum
8. Ta: thanks
9. Tea: dinner/supper
10. Chemist: pharmacist
11. Maccas: McDonald's
12. Swimmers: Bathing Suit
13. Tomato Sauce: Ketchup



It took me a while to figure out what these words all meant and I am starting to use them in my everyday language. I often find myself converting back to the Canadian way of saying things and that only gets me weird looks and often I get made fun of. I even get made fun of when I don’t understand what the Aussies are trying to say…especially if it something that means the complete opposite or means something completely different than what I am thinking. Oh well…one day I’ll get it as I continue my quest to becoming an Aussie!

No comments:

Post a Comment