Tuesday 22 March 2011

Campus Life

Living on campus again was definitely something that I needed to get used to. Back at home I live with my roommate in an apartment off campus. Its quiet, I can get a lot of work done, and when I want to see my friends its just a really quick drive to campus. Living in res, especially one this size (1400 people), was going to be fun, but also a little bit of a challenge.

I live in Old Res here at the University of Canberra. It is named Old Res as it is the oldest of the buildings...obviously! There are also a few other buildings: New Res, University Village, Arscott House (which isn't really apart of res, but it is), College House, and finally Globo (the newest/cleanest buildings here on campus). What I didn't know when applying, that Old Res has a reputation for partying. Being a fourth year student, I am a little over the constant partying, so having to live in a place that was known for the partying was a little nerve racking. Finally being here for 2 months I have figured out a good balance of having a social life, but also being able to do my school work. At times it is a little challenging to maintain, however it is doable especially if you have work that needs to be done at a certain time.

Part of Old Res
 The best part about living in res is the people that you meet. I have met some very amazing people here, both Australian and from the exchange program. I have been having the most amazing time with them. Most people around my res building want to talk with me and know more about where I am from. I have had offers to join my friends at their houses, to meet their families, and to see more of the country. It was the best decision I made not to live in a building with other exchange students (no offense) because then you get the opportunity to meet so many other people from the country that you are interested in traveling and they are able to help you and maybe even allow you to stay at their houses for a bit.







Another great part about staying on campus is the fact that you are no more than 10 minutes away from everything you could possibly need. For example, the mall is a 10 minute walk down the path and across the lake, the bus into Civic is less of a walk than that I am also a 10 minute walk away from work. In the Hub (directly on campus) they have everything from banks to cafe's and they even have post office inside the convenience store. There are so many places to eat on campus, and it really is a nice place to be on a sunny day.
The Refectory on Campus

  
Lecture Building




Living in res was the right decision for me. I knew that if I stayed in a home stay that it would be hard for me to meet people around campus and to get a feel for what people my age do for fun around Canberra. I have met so many people and had so many different adventures that I can barely keep them all straight. I highly recommend living in res as the adventures seem to be endless!

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm blogging for Study in AUstralia too! How is Canberra? I really want to make my way down there. Follow my blog at www.srattingdownunder.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete